Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Japan 2023 Day 2 Akihabara


First Full Day Wednesday 6/28/2023.   I slept a few hours due to jet lag, but was eager to head out to explore the neighborhood.  I went for a run, intending to do 3-4 miles and ended up roaming around different streets and completed 5 miles.  The streets in the Skytree area were not all in parallel and perpendicular fashion, so I did have to use Google Maps to navigate a bit.  






I ran by a river in Tokyo with a running path along its side.  There are 7-11's everywhere, I stopped by the one near ONE@Tokyo hotel to pick up a coffee, a pack of Yakult, and a small bowl of salad for breakfast.  I really enjoy the open area at the lobby of ONE@Tokyo where there is a small table outside.




Without a set agenda or plan for the first full day, I rode the train to Tokyo Station and walked around the streets along the station - Marunouchi Nake-dori Street.  The high-end stores and fancy cafes are not really for me.  But the business buildings were still interesting to look at.  I walked southbound to the Shimbashi Station.  It was still early and the Yonex Showroom is not yet open.  I found a simple noodle shop nearby and had a bowl of soba.  There, I found my way to The Hamarikyu Gardens.




The Hamarikyu Gardens was a neat visit.  There was a sign that was an example of the indirect nature of Japanese communication - the sign read "You can look from here" which is a much nicer way of saying "Don't enter".  I enjoyed an iced matcha at the tea house by the lake.  














It was a 10-15 minute walk from the garden to Tsukiji Outer Market.  There was a crowd eating some of the street foods.  I visited some of the kitchen ware shops, but since I'll be travelling to Osaka I was aware to not make too many purchases during my first days at Tokyo.





As I walk back to the Shimbashi area, it was still before 11am.  I waited for the Hakuhinkan Toy Park to open.  It's a store with 3-4 floors of toys.  I then went to the Yonex Showroom Store.





Becoming more comfortable with riding the trains, I went to Akihabara.  There were buildings with multiple floors of toys, cards, video games, and collectibles.  I found the famous retro gaming store Super Potatoe, 





Back at Tokyo Station, I found the Tokyo Ramen Street and a nice bowl of ramen.  Then it was time to return for a shower at the hotel.  I spent the early evening roaming the area nearby the hotel.



I shopped for some souvenirs for my family in the Skytree mall and got take-out sushi plates from the supermarket LIFE.  The Japanese supermarkets are very easy to navigate and they often plenty of fresh and healthy food options.  I would then need to organize my luggage since the next day I would have a morning to explore a bit before checking out of the hotel and head to Osaka via the Shinkansen trains.


No comments: