Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Japan 2023 Day 1 Tokyo



Photo Album Link: Japan Trip 2023 Google Album

Travel Day Monday to Tuesday 6/26/2023 to 6/27/2023.  This was my first trip to Japan and my first trip outside of the USA post Covid lockdown.  I flew out LAX 1:30pm to Haneda Airport - landing Tuesday 7/7/23 5:30pm (12 hour flight).  I had some issues booking the flight and hotel during the first weeks of June.  In short, my credit card didn't go through via Priceline.  When I called, a sales rep sent me a link to pay for the package.  However, the payments were individual transactions for the flights and the three hotels separately.  Since I never received confirmation, I had to cancel the hotel bookings from my credit card side and rebook.  In the end, it all worked out.  The flight was Monday at 1:30pm.  Japan Airline lived up to the high expectation.  The services on both flights were excellent.  It was about a 12-hour flight, which felt long.  I watched Avengers Endgame, Police Story (a 80s Jackie Chan film), and concerts by Alicia Keys and Ariana Grande.  



Upon arrival, the staff and officials at the Haneda Airport were extremely helpful and professional.  The customs process went extremely smoothly.  Since I only had my large backpack and a carry-on suitcase, I was able to exit very quickly.  At the arrival terminal, I had a few things on my agenda.  I needed to get cash, pick up my pocket WiFi rental, and pick up the Japan Rail Pass.  At the JR East Service Center, there was about a 20 minute wait for the JR Pass.  In retrospect, I was glad I waited since the same service at the Tokyo Station had a much longer line.  It took subways to get me to my hotel area, which took about another hour.





Having been to Hong Kong many times, the subway and rail system was mostly familiar for me.  Google Maps was extremely useful throughout the trip.  It was a long day of travel but seeing the streets of Tokyo from the train keep things interesting.



I didn't have much trouble finding my way to ONE@Tokyo.  The room is super small but I really liked the design and how bright and tall the ceiling is in the room.  The lobby is very spacious.  I took a walked to LIFE supermarket.  Ate at a beef bowl shop by using the ticketing machine.  The hotel was also only a short distance to SkyTree Solamachi shopping center, and it provided a rooftop for a great view of Skytree.



A bike parking lot.

My first meal in Japan, a simple and delicious beefbowl.

The hotel had a spacious lobby with a very calm vibe.

No comments: