Friday, November 28, 2008

What A Lesson!


After having Thanksgiving dinner, I pulled out my MacBook Pro and asked my cousin Dana for some advice on Adobe Illustrator. She's a graduate from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena and a successful working professional of digital arts. In a short time, she showed me a series of commands, tips, and tricks for this application. She convinced me that Illustrator is the tool for the things that I want to do in my classroom. I reflected on what I really learned as I drove home: Dana taught a fantastic lesson! She did so with tremendous enthusiasm, expertise, and patience - which are all essential characteristics of great teachers. It was all done without a lesson plan. Sometimes, the best teachers are not educators. Often times, the best lessons are not in the classrooms.

(P.S. - - Before switching to Creative Suite, previous versions of Adobe Illustrator donned an image of Botticelli's Birth of Venus on its box cover.)


No comments: