Monday, December 1, 2008

Math Tutoring


I have been tutoring since I was about fourteen. It was my main source of income to pay for my c
ollege applications, college expenses, and credential program (along with many poor attempts at grad school standardized entrance exams and rejected grad school applications.) My first full-time job was at UC Irvine as a Tutor Advisor.  Ironically, now that I am a full-time high school teacher, I tutor voluntarily. Our fantastic department chair person has developed a tutoring program, a math club of sorts, that provides our students help after school. It has become very popular; we've moved to the cafetaria and I've once counted over 50 students at the session 
with maybe four teachers (yes, we could use more help). This year, students can pay an optional $5 for the sessions. The money goes to buying students snacks, and any left over funds will go toward a math scholarship. I told my students recently: "As long as I'm a public school teacher, I will always offer free tutoring."

I made the design above a few weeks ago to promote our efforts. It has been enlarged and is used as a sign outside of the cafetaria where we hold our tutorials. I felt that the pencil is a neat substitution for the ubiquitous arrow. Here is another version...

No comments: