Sunday, November 23, 2008

Socializing with Teachers


It's Thanksgiving break, I was invited to a dinner party by some teachers. Though I have simple and friendly relationships with most staff members, I rarely hang out with other teachers outside of school. From my observation, some of the best teachers simply keep it to themselves - they aren't antisocial, but they just seem to have a strong sense of privacy. I didn't want to get myself into a night-long verbal bashing of students, teachers, or administrators. But the hosts were teachers whom I admire, so I accepted the invitation. It turned out to be a very pleasant get-together, much smaller than I had anticipated. Those in attendance were well respected staff members who were also great people. I felt so privileged to be with such an elite group. Our conversation, of course, surrounded education. But the dialogues were positive. It was an honor spending time with real people who face the exact same challenges that I do. I admire their grace, professionalism, and sense of humor as experienced educators. They inspire me to be a better teacher.

These logos are used to engage my students - I do not profit from these designs.

No comments: