Sunday, November 16, 2008

Game Tying Goal!


I play soccer and I play defense. I have always envisioned playing a clean game as the main defender in the sweeper position. With three key players not present for today's recreation game, I played sweeper for the full match. We kept the other team from scoring; though my teammate committed an innocent own goal. Playing down 0-1 for most of the game, I stayed home and guarded our box. With about a minutes to go, I saw an opportunity for me to charge forward to create a play. John had the ball in the box with his back to the goal, he dropped it to Eric on the right side. As I jogged forward, I was seeing the entire play develop in my mind and had little doubt that I would make a difference in this sequence. By the time I was in front of the goal, Eric crossed it into the box (perhaps between the keeper's legs) and with one touch, I tucked it in. It was almost effortless, I wasn't nervous, wasn't tired, and wasn't exceptionally hyped that I scored. I would have been surprised had I not scored. It was just somewhat Zen-like; I expected to score and change the outcome of the game when I decided to make that run. 

If it were only that easy, if only I could make a difference each time I step into my classroom...

No comments: