Monday, November 10, 2008

Teacher of the Month


This year, our school started a new event in which students vote for the Teacher of the Month by department. In October, it was the Math Department's turn. Judging from the buzz around campus, I knew I had a good shot since it's purely on student votes (and I have a large number of students). I was delighted and humbled to have won. Truth be told, it may be nothing more than an informal popularity contest. Though I firmly believe that popularity does not equate to quality, I also want to believe that the students can distinguish between the two and pick a teacher with good teaching methods. Now, there may also have been other factors that contributed to the results: perhaps I had the most students overall, perhaps results were fixed, or perhaps there was a counting error. Nonetheless, I was thrilled to be recognized by the students, especially in knowing that there are other fantastic teachers in the department.

I am humbled to work with other experienced teachers in my department and I understand that I have many areas on which to improve. I shall put my head down and keep working.

No comments: