Sunday, November 2, 2008

My New MacBook Pro!


For quite some time, I felt that my modest technology skills is slowly being capped by the hardware with which I was equipped. My Dell laptop is running relatively well, but it has been through over two years of heavy use. Though very expensive, I made the decision to purchase a Mac. Apple just released a new MacBook Pro (on Oct. 15, 2008), and the previous model went on the clearance section at the Apple online store. 

After visiting the store and playing with the newest MacBook Pro, I decided that the previous model is better for me. Unlike the latest model, the previous one is all silver with an anti-glare matte screen. (The latest model has a black keyboard and glossy screen.) Further, I like the touch pad with a separate button on the previous model. (The latest model has a single large pad which is also the button, I find that pressing the large pad down to be a bit more difficult than pressing the separate button.) Lastly, I felt that the latest upgrade on its graphics card was not something that I needed.

What was the top-of-the-line 2.5GHz model at $2,499 a month ago, it is currently on sale for $1,799 USD. As an educator, I saved $200 more and paid $1,599 for the machine. Additionally, a special promotion allowed me to pick up a $99 all-purpose printer for free. (I also purchased iWork '08 and the AppleCare Protection Plan that extends the warranty to 3 years.)

Apple is certainly a marketing genius. It's gotten me excited about such an expensive product (my car is my only more expensive purchase). Nonetheless, I hope this computer will help me continue to develop as an educator by enhance my lessons in the classroom.

No comments: