Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day Two: Part Two


During our break, I had an excellent open conversation with my roommate Mr. C. We shared a lot of perspectives and values despite our different backgrounds. The afternoon session introduced these three concepts:
  1. "Yes, and..." Avoid using the ubiquitous "but". "Yes, but..." is really a "No, but...". Don't be sarcastic - it's like taking someone's flesh. Creating distraction from the negative.
  2. "Go Big!" Going big does not mean being loud. Confidence balanced with respect. Be a possibility advocate. Be the best for the world, not the best in the world. (my favorite)
  3. "Total Support" No criticism without creation. Welcome the devil's advocate. Ask: "What's my contribution to others' efforts?"
After dinner, I shared a meaningful conversation with two other teachers. Jeremy, a 17 year veteran from Missouri, talked about his experiences in Japan. Another was Christine, an enthusiastic first year teacher from San Diego, she talked about her experiences in Spain. And I shared my experiences and perspectives from Hong Kong and England. We had so much in common!

No comments: