Monday, May 10, 2010

Day One: Orientation


The photo shows the golf course that I jogged around this morning. Immediately after breakfast at 8 am, the simulation of the LINK CREW orientation began. We went through the big group intro, small group activities, as well as pair-sharing. I've taken in so much, yet I'm still yearning for more. We did many interactive modeling. Though I've never been a fan of educator role play, I found today's modeling to be meaningful and practical. Some random ideas that I picked up today:
  • Purpose creates energy
  • Structure creates behavior
  • The 3 E's: Energy, Enthusiasm, Excitement
  • We are too left-brain focused according to Daniel Pink's "A Whole New Mind" (3 A's: Asia-regarding outsourcing, Automation, and Abundance)
  • We must sometimes destruct before construct
  • "We didn't just say it, we made it be." Shane Koyczan - Slam Poet
  • Protect the leaders' space
  • Prevention over intervention
  • Decrease anxiety and anonymity (Mr. C. added apathy) to increase connection and energy
  • Bullet points exist in the head, not in the heart
One observation: the trainees here don't represent our student population. As far as I see, I'm the only Asian, and there are no more than five blacks.

No comments: