Saturday, May 15, 2010

Betrayal


I think I do a pretty good job of focusing on the positives, especially on this blog. Evil acts, however, do exist. Sadly, I have seen and heard a lot of negatives recently. We should acknowledge them and learn from them.

Students told me yesterday that during an AP test, a particular student broke a test taking rule. I don't have the details on the extend of the violation, but it's leaving the AP teacher feeling sad and mad. She feels betrayed for she has given so much for her students. Let's hope that the situation is resolved quickly so that this teacher and her honest students get to realize their efforts.

Rumors exist that there was injustice during a recent anonymous voting for a leadership position.

Another teacher friend told me that an older male student in her college math class yelled at her for deducting points off of his quiz for not showing work.

Very few students (only about one in four) said "thank you" after I handed them either a donut for breakfast during the CSTs last week or a burger/hotdog during yesterday's barbecue.

I can only point fingers at myself. If I am ever so lucky to have my own children, I strive to teach them to be honest, kind, and grateful.

No comments: