Sunday, March 22, 2009

Getting Old


I turn 30 this week. My awesome roommate took me to a great Japanese restaurant Friday night along with his friend, we had a blast. My two best friends Cong and Sunny planned a dinner with me Saturday night at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Pasadena. It was much more extravagant than I really deserved, but the guys insisted as a way to combine the celebration with my TOY award. They didn't bring their wives when they picked me up so I really thought it was just the three of us. When we arrived, it was a surprise with seven other of my closest and dearest friends: Sunny and Cong with their wives Cathy and Kitty, my college roommate Mark, another college roommate Duy and his wife Mariane, a college friend/ex-coworker Jon Cue, and my actor/comedian friend Bryan. Even with all of the materialistic goods aside (best of food, drinks, gifts, atmosphere, etc.), it was the happiest time for me in a long time. We joked, debated, and laughed all night just as we always do.

With so much ups and downs for me professionally this year, I have spent very little time with my family and friends. At the end of the night, I told Cong that I'll re-evaluate where my life should go and how I want to be. As much as I strive to be the best teacher, I truly want to be a better friend to my friends. At Cong's wedding in August 2008, I was honored to be his best man. During my toast, I said that he's been a better friend to me than I have to him. It's been true. If I'll be so lucky to marry someone special one day, I hope he can say the same to me.

No comments: