Wednesday, December 27, 2017

ASAP - Mile 56


A Shoe Adoption Project Year End Recap:

It has been my pleasure running A Shoe Adoption Project (ASAP) in 2017. Through the contributions of many generous donors, supportive friends, and the help of many devoted social workers, we have delivered 15 batches of shoes to children in need this year.  This small charity started as a simple idea during a lonely Saturday morning run in December of 2016. A year later, ASAP has donated 74 pairs of shoes to children who are in the foster, homeless, or at-risk programs. We sent soccer shoes to a missionary development program in rural Kenya, we aided hurricane victims in Houston by sending new shoes, and we gave shoes to teens battling cancer. My vision is that this project will make the world a better place, at least for those receiving the new shoes. Thanks to all the kind people involved in this project, we’re doing it! One pair of shoes at a time. This year, we gave to 74 children. Thank you.

I have decided to continue with this charity in 2018. My commitment to ASAP’s core mission will remain the same: “This project uses 100% of any donations received directly towards buying shoes for the children in need.” I will also personally abstain from buying new shoes and clothing for myself (except for school shirts to support campus programs) in 2018 to extend my commitment to ASAP. Year Two may change and evolve. A big part of me wants to keep the project off social media. However, a substantial portion of our budget came from donors who connected with the project online. In fact, I have solicited donation only once at a track workout when I was given a surprised opportunity to talk about this charity. I will strive to have a balance between sharing updates and not overwhelming others with excessive posts. I am aiming for shorter Facebook posts, leaving the details and stories on this blog.

At the conclusion of Year One, I have a letter summarizing our progress to all donors. While I don’t have all of their addresses, I will try to reach all of them as soon as I can. I share our contributions below. Again, this project has brought me more joy and purpose than I know how to express. I wish you a Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and a wonderful new year in 2018.

With gratitude,

Ricky Yip

Destinations of our contributions / shoes in 2017:  Total # of Pairs Donated = 74
Organizations / Programs (Contact Person)
Pairs
Bonita High School Foster/Homeless Liaison (Mo Williams)
9
Upland - Foothill Family Shelter (Shauna Kelly)
22
Pomona - Inland Valley Hope Partner (Kami Grosvenor)
2
San Dimas Christ's Church of the Valley to Kenya (Student Emily Landa)
15
BHS ASB to Houston Hurricane Harvey Victims (Deanna Bowman)
12
Ronald McDonald Charity (Carolyn Chapparo)
2
David & Margaret Youth & Family Services (Dinna Hervey)
3
Heritage Group Homes (Deonne McLean)
5
INSAN Foundation (Saba Hafeez)
4
*We also have four more new pairs in inventory.*

We donated 74 pairs of new shoes in 2017!


No comments: