Sunday, February 6, 2011

Letting Go


As I reflect on my difficulty with letting things go, I realized that it has to do with how much I've put in. If you invested much in a relationship, or a job, with all of your efforts and emotions, it'll no doubt hurt when it tanks. It'll hurt bad. You have a major stake invested in it, feeling that it'll work out. On the other hand, if you did not contribute to the relationship, or to the job, then there's really no strong attachment to its outcome. When it's going great, you don't appreciate it. And when it fails, it's no big deal because you didn't risk anything.

Looking forward to the future, I know I still have a desire to do good work and have meaningful relationships. It's easy to not contribute and be detached, but there also won't be any reward. I read a book today in which the author said that the only failure is in not taking action. At times, I feel like a battery that's been drained empty and doesn't recharge anymore. When the time and opportunity comes again, I hope I still have the drive and optimism to give it my all.

No comments: