Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Familiar Face

This morning, I went to a Starbucks that I rarely visit to read a bit before attending a morning math workshop. A man came in with his daughter. He looked pleasantly familiar, we made eye contact for a fraction of a second as he passed by. After he ordered and stood by the coffee bar, he looked at me again and we knew we had met before. In fact, Charles was the father of two boys (C.J. and Josh) who I used to tutor in 2005. We haven't seen each other since. I then also recognized his daughter, Cassidy. They were on their way to her basketball game. We chatted a bit. I found out that his oldest boy is now a senior in high school and is applying to colleges. I shared with him briefly that when I tutored his boys, I had just quit teaching. Tutoring his boys math in the afternoons, after my non-teaching job at that time, in part inspired me to return to teaching. I told him that he can bring his boys over anytime and I'd be happy to work with them. He told me that I still look like a kid. = )

No comments: