Sunday, March 14, 2021

Retro Gaming 2021 - 3DS Games

 

Happy Pi Day!  It's important to have a side hobby to complement my focus on math and education.  Collecting and playing retro video games is a hobby that I have revisited recently.  It serves as a good distraction from online teaching and lesson preparation.  Since March of 2020, I have maintained social isolation indoors, aside from running and biking outdoors.  I get a deep sense of nostalgia through playing older video games and learning about gaming history.  The term "retro" is relative.  For me, I go back to the original Nintendo (NES) from the mid-90's to the Nintendo 64 from the early 2000's.  Since then, I have mostly abstained from video gaming.  Through YouTube videos and enthusiasts' websites, I have learned about the progression of some new systems since the N64.  Just for fun, I purchased a few newer consoles.  I'm now exploring the Nintendo handheld library of games in Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, and Nintendo 3DS.  The picture above show three of the new games that I found, they are inexpensive since the 3DS has been discontinued.  Clockwise from the top: (1) Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, (2) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, and (3) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.  *Since this posting, I've purchased many more new 3DS titles to support game developers.

Recent collections and games that they play through 3rd party modifications:

Neo Geo Mini (NGM) - Neo Geo library, NES, SEGA, Capcom arcade, and other retro MAME arcade games.

Neo Geo Arcade Stick Pro (ASP) - Neo Geo library, Capcom arcade, other retro MAME arcade, NES, Game Boy (GB), and Game Boy Color (GBC).  [ASP with the Hylo mod also emulates Game Boy Advance and Super NES, but the shoulder buttons from those two systems cannot be assigned to the ASP hardware.]

Anbernic RG351M - This handheld emulates GBC, GBA, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Neo Geo Pocket Color, MAMEs, PlayStation, and Sega Genesis/MegaDrive, and Sega Game Gear.  It runs some PSP, N64, and DreamCast games.

Nintendo DS Lite - This handheld is backwards compatible.  It plays DS games and the hardware has a slot for GBA games.

Nintendo 2DS XL - This handheld plays 3DS games and is backwards compatible.  It plays DS games. 

Retro gaming
Video games

No comments: