Monday, October 4, 2010

Staff Development


Our faculty had an ambitious agenda today. In addition to several all-staff meetings, there were three 40-minute time slots during the day, each with three workshop options that allowed teachers to choose. I attended a SnapGrade introductory workshop by Mr. D. and Mrs. H. They are both excellent teachers, two of my favorites, in fact. Their session went well, and I learned the availability of a powerful tool. I attended a Cornell-Notes session during the second slot. Having heard about this technique for a long time, it was nice to see an expert (Mr. V.) demonstrate the spirit behind this note taking technique. Lastly, I went to a Poll Everywhere workshop. Mrs. L. showcased a website that allows the audience to text answers to a site, which instantaneously displays the polling.

While I learned something new in each of the three wonderful workshops, I was still very frustrated throughout the entire day. I feel that it was extremely unproductive. Aside from the three workshops, all of the other information can be presented in a much shorter time. I understand that the spirit of the staff development is to sharpen teachers' skills. Nonetheless, having heard from many other teachers' comments, we really feel that Staff Development Days are painful and drain our spirits. One teacher posted on Facebook: "I hate staff development days!!! The only thing I develop is a headache!"

I shall just move on and focus on my work. When the time comes again, I strive to provide teachers with a valuable session that is worthy of their time and attention.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

more teachers need to use your teaching scheme..

Mr. Yip said...

Thanks, Andres. I'm lucky to have great students. You're talking like a true QB - using the word "scheme".

Y