Monday, August 9, 2010

AP Statistics Summer Institute Day 1


Palos Verdes Peninsula HS is a nice campus not far from the ocean. I arrived very early to beat traffic and enjoyed a quiet morning reading at the campus. Although we got off to a slow start, by midday, my class of 19 teachers dove right into discussions of experimental designs and inferential statistics. Most importantly, I began experimenting with the TI-84+. The presenter said that this is the most widely used handheld. Fortunately, it is much easier to use than the TI-Nspire CAS which I learned last week. It was at UC Irvine when I first learned and tutored statistics. I recalled all of the topics and did quite well on my first try at completing the multiple choice section today. My hotel is just about a mile away from Redondo Beach. Beautiful whether here in SoCal.

An amazing story - the principal of PVPHS, Kelly Johnson, was a janitor at the school 41 years ago. He is retiring this week. He encouraged us to open the AP doors to more students. The two most important people on campus, according to him, were the students and the teachers.

No comments: