Thursday, September 10, 2009

Old Veteran


I am a part of the "chain gang" for our school's football team. It can be an enjoyable duty, though I joked that it's really detention for teachers and that the half-time is our recess. During the game, an old veteran GHS math teacher came to visit us. To my surprise, Mr. Anderson knew me. He has taught for 36 years, 18 with our school. I took advantage of the opportunity and asked him many questions. Mostly about how I can improve and stay positive in the long run as a teacher. I learned that there are no secrets - he highlighted working hard and treating everyone with respect as keys. Also, Mr. Anderson complimented Ms. Kwak's amazing work ethic and talent as an educator. He said that he thought he was a good teacher up until he met her. Lastly, he said that the students are ultimately responsible for their learning. I still have more questions...

No comments: