Friday, April 10, 2020

Missing Our Bearcats

💚🐾💚🐾💚🐾💚🐾💚🐾

On Friday March 13th, the faculty had an emergency lunch meeting. The administration told us that we would close for three weeks, with school resuming on April 6th.  My immediate thought was that student learning would be interrupted, I've been working all year to get the AP students ready for the AP Calculus and AP Statistics exams.  Nonetheless, returning on April 6th would still give me enough time to prepare students for the exam in May.  A week later, however, we were informed that school closure would extend to May 5th.  At that point, rumor was already going around that school districts around the nation would be closing for the year.  I was already missing my work.  On April 2nd, the heartbreaking news for me came when the district announced the closure of school for the reminder of the year.  

First, I wish everyone to be safe and healthy.  Second, I'm grateful for all of the health care professionals (including my brother and sister-in-law) for their courageous services.  Thirdly, I understand and support the reason for school closure.  I am one of the fortunate teachers who are asked to stay home and be fully paid.  At the same time, my spirit took a big hit when we got the news that we won't return this year.  I miss my work, my classroom, and my students.  There's a lack of closure.  My thoughts are with the students, especially the seniors class of 2020.

For the past weeks, I have set up learning materials for my students online.  At home, I have organized most of the FRQs documents that I have completed for both AP Statistics and AP Calculus.  There is always more work to do for educators.  So far, I have read three books.  Personally, I am recovering from a hip injury from the LA Marathon in early March.  I have taken on virtual yoga classes.  My digital interactions with my friends, family, and coworkers keep me engaged.  I will need to work on lesson preparation next.  Stay positive, stay healthy, keep learning and keep working.

No comments: