Saturday, January 10, 2015

LARC


This is the design on the back and the logo (right) of a LARC tutor t-shirt from the old days.

From the fall of 2000 to the spring of 2003, I received formal tutor training from LARC (Learning and Academic Resource Center) at UC Irvine.  I began as an undergraduate tutor, holding sessions in psychology and statistics courses.  Through the mentoring of many wonderful people (Philippe, Howie, Ian, Daisy, and many others) I developed as an educator.  At the end of my first year, I was given an opportunity to be a mentor tutor, giving support to new tutors.  After graduation, I was hired as a Tutor Advisor and had an amazing year working on the beautiful campus at Irvine, alongside many people who shared a common goal of helping students.  LARC was disbanded around 2009, but I was trilled to see it in operation once again via the UCI website.  My time with LARC is a huge part of my college memories.  Looking back, it is also the beginning of my formal teaching career.

No comments: