Friday, October 5, 2012

Still Tutoring


A little less than a year ago, a friend at the badminton club asked if I would tutor his daughter in Geometry.  I had just finished graduate school and have stood firm on not coaching after school, so I agreed.  Just an hour a week with a smart, motivated, and respectful middle schooler.  It is at times the most fulfilling hour of teaching of my week.  Over the summer, her younger sister joined in to our sessions. We met twice a week, often on benches that are right next to the badminton courts where we play. Our sessions have continued as our school years began.  Another badminton friend asked if I would help her son prepare for his SATs.  I also agreed, knowing that he's a great kid and that I would be able to help him review some Geometry.  These three kids are three of the best students that I've had the pleasure to work with.  


In fact, I have respectfully declined other parents' requests for tutoring.  I simply teach enough hours as is during my week.  At the same time, I realize how fortunate I am to have the ability to say no.  I recall that when I started tutoring as a 14 year old kid, I would occasionally hope that my Saturday afternoon sessions would get cancelled so that I can have the day off.  Now, I look forward to the sessions.  I'm more experienced, I know how to better pace the tutorials, and am more comfortable working with teens in an educational setting.  I reflect on my roots as a tutor and find it a privilege that this role has stayed with me for almost 20 years.

No comments: