Monday, April 11, 2011

Debut


One of my former students and current badminton players, Kristyn, invited me to her Philippine Debut (18th birthday party) Sunday night. I was surprised and honored when her mom asked me to be one of the 18 courts to present the birthday girl with a rose and share a portion of a dance with her. It was an unique experience. I also saw for the first time the 18 candle ceremony, during which 18 of her closest female family members and friends gave a brief speech and lit one of the candles. Shortly after the traditional ceremonies, they opened the dance floor for everyone. I decided to leave at that time; I learned that I was the only teacher there. I know the kids would feel weird if a teacher had stuck around as they partied.


(I don't typically post pictures of students. But Kristyn is already 18 and I've known her and her family for over three years, thought it'd be okay.)

No comments: