Friday, September 10, 2010

AP Statistics Teacher


Two weeks in the books, and it still feels a bit surreal that I'm teaching statistics. It's been a dream of mine for about a decade and it feels a bit spooky that it's going so smoothly. So far, I've covered graphical displays, measures of center, and measures of spread. I am blessed with some amazing students.

A retired teacher left us with about 15 TI-83+ graphing calculators. They were not well maintained and are now in horrible shape. Many had broken screens and the battery compartments are rusted with leaked battery acid. It was a little upsetting to see such valuable resources go to waste. I spent a good amount of time this morning cleaning and restoring the conditions of these calculators. Luckily, I was able to revive a couple of them. I will go in again tomorrow to see what I can do with the rest. A portion of my students don't have graphing calculators, so hopefully, I'll be able to get a couple more TI-83's to work.

I am reminded of my uncle who would clean up old cameras that he discovers at antique shops, as the art of photography is his passionate hobby. Teaching is my art and these calculators are the brushes for my students.

No comments: