Sunday, February 28, 2010

Benchmark Assessment


For the past two years, I have been on a Geometry benchmark team. A few other geometry teachers in the district and I meet a couple times a year to create district-wide, standards-based assessments. It's a great opportunity to share with other teachers who are teaching the exact same topics. In geometry, however, it is very difficult to create the tests due to the complex figures. The past week, I was invited to do assessments for Algebra 2. In the beginning, I was a bit hesitant to join this team. I didn't have a lot of experience teaching this course, and was already overwhelmed with my own schedule. However, the meeting was very fruitful. I joined three other teachers from AHS, and two other teachers from my school. Together, we set a new pacing guide, and delivered all six assessments for the year! Along the way, I learned a lot from the five veteran math teachers. I strive to continue to develop my abilities in teaching higher level math.

*This is the first year that I'm teaching Algebra 2 since that my first year as a teacher in Pasadena.

No comments: