Monday, August 17, 2009

Summer Basketball

Earlier this summer, I practiced with the boys' basketball team. Two hours a day, five days a week. It was a great way for me to get back into physical shape. I walked away with more than just the fitness benefits. Coach Kilmer was such an inspiration. During each practice, he kept every kid involved through his coachings. We warmed up (anticipatory set), ran drills (guided instruction), and received motivating talks at the end of each practice (closure). Coach Kilmer is simply awesome. Coaches are easily the most under-appreciated and under-paid people in education. Yet, they often have the biggest impact on our students. Personally, I have been greatly inspired by my high school badminton coaches: Mrs. Wells and her son Mr. Kemp Wells.

No comments: