Saturday, January 10, 2009

Less Is Not More

This just in: the Governor of California proposes 5 fewer school days. Compared with other academically high performing countries, our students already spend fewer weeks in the classrooms. Shorter summers and more weeks in the classrooms may be contributing factors for students in India or China to be more advanced in the sciences and math. Though the task at hand is overwhelming each day, I strive to maximize the time I have with my students each year. As of this writing, I have not yet taken a sick leave. I also read that LAUSD may lay off many teachers; new teachers without tenure are especially vulnerable. My first year of teaching was most challenging, I wish these new teachers the best and hope that they can survive these difficult times and continue to educate the next generation.

These logos are used to engage my students - I do not profit from these designs.

No comments: